Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Source search report

The most useful search was definitely anything that involved 'The Sierra Club', but also adding in the terms 'rhetoric', 'strategies', and 'fundraising' all were useful. My question has a few angles, looking at both the history of the Club but also at how their site is structured, rhetorically, so using multiple terms in combination with 'The Sierra Club' offered a wide range of sources. A couple sources I found as byproducts of my initial search did give me some new angles to think about, especially a few that are research oriented, and based in scientific methodology. Also, gathering a few sources that negatively discuss the Club spark some curiosity, and will hopefully give me some greater insight into how the Club's methods are perceived, and how successful they are.
The four I have chosen so far I based off of diversity, as my question has a few different angles. I chose one that describes the history of the organization, as well as a book on the 'rebirth' of environmentalism, which has a chapter on the Club and John Muir specifically. These I would like to use for my historical analysis, and how it ties into contemporary focuses of the Club. The most exciting source I found was an article based on a research study conducted on how the Sierra Club uses a 'framing' strategy to increase awareness of important issues. My final source comes from the Club itself, and is actually a grouping of multiple webpages the site has dedicated to its multiple 'Move Beyond Fossil Fuels' campaigns, and I plan to use 3 of the 4 specific pages in my analysis, but may settle on less than that.

Works Cited:

Bevington, Douglas. The Rebirth of Environmentalism: Grassroots Activism from the Spotted Owl to the Polar Bear. Washington, DC: Island, 2009. Print.

"Moving Beyond Fossil Fuels." Sierra Club. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Oct. 2014.

Parsons, Marion Randall. "The Sierra Club." JSTOR. Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, n.d. Web. 28 Oct. 2014.

Reber, Bryan H., and Bruce K. Berger. "Framing Analysis of Activist Rhetoric: How The Sierra Club Succeeds or Fails at Creating Salient Messages."Science Direct. Public Relations Review, 1 Feb. 2005. Web. 28 Oct. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment